Becky Melby - Company Message

Mastering Love
Said the Sparrow
Waiting Well
Aging Grace-full-y

Categories

A Re-Creating Life
Be still, a simpler life
Busyness, Quiet Time,
Christmas
family, tearing down walls, love, differences
Messy life

December 2015
November 2015
October 2015

powered by

Fresh Starts -- Second Chances

Because of This

I’ve been sorting through old pictures and reflecting on the past lately, thinking of all of the one-thing-led-to-another moments in our lives.

That train of thought brought me back to 1968. I was a selfish seventeen-year-old girl who broke up with her boyfriend and then was miserable because of it. And then my father died suddenly of a heart attack, and in the midst of my shock and sadness, the boy I’d hurt came alongside me and held me up. And BECAUSE OF THIS I was humbled and changed and grew up a little.

And BECAUSE OF THIS, we were married two years later.

Seven years later, in 1979, our two-year-old son fell off a slide. As I scooped him up, I had no idea that God would use that one terrifying moment to direct the course of our future.

BECAUSE OF THIS, we took him to a chiropractor. BECAUSE OF THIS, when my husband was laid off from his job, he decided to embark on a new career path in chiropractic. BECAUSE OF THIS, we moved from Wisconsin to Iowa and then to a new town in Wisconsin. BECAUSE OF THIS, we drove past a rustic sign pointing to a little white church. BECAUSE OF THIS, we became part of a wonderful Christian family.

BECAUSE OF THIS, our oldest son became a counselor at a church camp. BECAUSE OF THIS, he met a beautiful co-counselor and fell in love.

BECAUSE we moved to a place where we saw that sign and joined that church, my second son was sitting on the floor in the basement of his youth leaders’ home when a girl he’d never met walked down the stairs. My son told his friend, “I’m going to marry that girl.” And so he did. And BECAUSE he was the little boy who fell off the slide and BECAUSE OF THIS had grown up benefiting from the chiropractic lifestyle, this boy also became a doctor of chiropractic.

Also BECAUSE OF joining that church, my third son found his best friend. And that friend had a beautiful sister. And pretty soon my son had a new best friend.

And then another family joined the church and they had a beautiful daughter. And my fourth son picked on her for years before the teasing and laughter turned to love.

And, BECAUSE OF ALL OF THIS, we are the ridiculously blessed grandparents of fifteen amazing kids and on Friday we celebrated 44 years of marriage.

Whatever you’re facing, remember that this--this painful or frightening or regret-filled season or moment--could be the spark that sets off a chain reaction that leads to blessings beyond anything you can imagine.

Do you have a BECAUSE OF THIS story?

11 Comments to Because of This:

Comments RSS
Shelli Littleton on Monday, March 21, 2016 1:27 PM
Oh, Becky, this is beautiful. Because of this ... yes! Let's see ... I have so many ... but ... Because I braved an ACFW conference, I sat down ... and Becky Melby was sitting right beside me. And she talked to me so sweetly and became a dear friend to me. And because of this, I'm reading her sweet blog post today and had the chance to read one of her sweet works. And I'm hoping because of this, I'll one day be a better writer and maybe one day I'll have something worth publishing! :)
Reply to comment

Becky Melby on Monday, March 21, 2016 2:52 PM
Shelli, you are such a blessing to me and so many!! I love how God orchestrates new friendships. I have been so touched by your blog posts and I am currently reading your book--savoring and learning from you and all God taught you through your struggles. So there's no need to talk of "someday" because you've already written a book worth publishing!! And I'm quite certain you will again.
Reply to comment

Becky Bray on Monday, March 21, 2016 3:28 PM
Since I can't post a picture here, I'll just post a link to the picture! http://www.beckybray.me/2016/03/because-of-this.html
Reply to comment

Becky Melby on Monday, March 21, 2016 3:35 PM
Becky, you and Shelli have such beautiful stories. There are so many women struggling with infertility who need to hear these messages of hope. Thank you for sharing this.

M. Simone Boyd on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 10:06 AM
This so rings of the heart of God, Becky! All things work together for good... The Good Book doesn't say ALL things would BE good, but that they would work together for good. Happy Anniversary! Here's an abbreviated version of 'Because of This' story. Because my grandmother passed away in 2005, I moved to live with my grandfather in El Paso, Texas. Because I was living in El Paso, I went to graduate school and ran into a really handsome man. (We didn't hit it off initially.) Because I was in graduate school I applied to internships all over the country. My top pick was the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. I got rejected the first time, but accepted the second time. While leaving my internship, I ran into that handsome man I'd met in El Paso, TX and three years later we got hitched. God's timing is perfect...even when life is not. I just got a rejection letter two weeks ago, so thank you for shining a spotlight on our 'Because of This' moments. I needed the reminder. Peace and Blessings...Simone
Reply to comment

Becky Melby on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:22 PM
What a wonderful journey, Simone. Love how God gives second chances--in life and love. Think of that rejection letter like a toothpick you stick in a chocolate cake. This one came out a little gooey--all that means is you need a little more time. BECAUSE OF THIS, you'll learn some things you need to improve and the next proposal will reflect what you've learned. Looking forward to reading one of your books some day!

Rachael O. Phillips on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:47 PM
Love your story, Becky! My just-because-of love story happened because of a "chance" encounter in a library and a transfer into a high school biology class. And my unplanned writing career happened because a church secretary demanded newsletter articles because I was the choir director. God weaves the smallest threads into the most amazing tapestries, doesn't He!
Reply to comment

Becky Melby on Thursday, March 24, 2016 4:10 PM
So grateful to God for that demanding church secretary, Rachael. Because of her demands, I have the privilege of calling you friend. Grateful we're threads in the same tapestry!

rushmyessay service on Friday, October 13, 2017 10:20 AM
These lads are amazing and they play some beautiful sports. I like to do this while watching them play and I enjoy it a lot. I think that people should look to them and learn something from them.
Reply to comment

assignment writers on Sunday, October 22, 2017 11:52 AM
We can find many photos of many couples on internet. We can find history of their life also. There are some happy moments of their life which we come to know from their beautiful photos. We can get details of their life also.
Reply to comment

3D Virtual Reality Headset on Sunday, October 29, 2017 10:44 AM
Oh wow i love these Note 4 Vr Headset i didnt know they were released yet, so thanks for the offer here, i surely would love to take it up!
Reply to comment